Thursday, May 26, 2016

Book Review: Room

Book Review: Room, Emma Donoghue, 2010

Rating: 2/5

As posted in goodreads.


I had this book for years, but as usual, because the movie is out (with good reviews!) I hurriedly read it through. I think the reason why I wanted to read it in the first place, is because I expect that it would be a harrowing psychological thriller in some way. But since the book was narrated from a five-year-old point of view, it kinda makes the book lacking of depth? The book itself is pretty much divided in two parts [SPOILER STARTS HERE - first half about the life of Ma and Jack being a captive for over 7 years by a man who continually abusing Ma sexually, second half is when they managed to get away, and telling about how the two of them, Ma and Jack who has been so dependent with each other for so long, tried to adapt to the outside world - SPOILER ENDS], the problem is, I think the second half should at least be narrated by someone else? At least to give the emotional and psychological weighing to the story? (*wink wink* Gone Girl)

Anyways, I didn't like the book, or hate it, more like a 'meh'. I found it not the bad type of book (e.g., The Circle *gossshh). But at least I won't be that conflicted anymore to watch the movie, and it might be a better experience since I can see how Ma thrive through all the hell she went through by seeing her emotion directly? (yaay!)

No comments:

Post a Comment