Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Berlinale numero 66!!!!!!

So now that I feel a little bit more relaxed after I've started my experiment (finally can move on into other projects!!), I would start it with the come back of the movie fever!

Rizki and I spend a lot of time watching movies, because we really really enjoy the cinematic experience. After he left for home, I just feel like I have to sort of distance myself a little to it because I will miss him (haha) and I also feel like I need to catch up with my readings. And so I read and read, and eventually surpassed my intended goal in goodreads, and my personal goal (to finish reading several books so I can finally start on Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath!). And because I need to get back to the mood of movie watching, I decided to catch up with some movies I've been wanting to see.

So last Monday and Tuesday, I watched the Big Short (a movie about the financial crisis in USA, 2007/2008) and the Revenant (wow the long shots that Alejandro Iñárritu took are awesome!! Will write about these two movies later). And tonight, I'll watch the Hateful 8 (before you guys judge me for being an irresponsible adult, I'll let you know, again, that I have a monthly cinema ticket in which I can watch as many movies as I want, anytime!). This Sunday, in terms of regular cinema movies, I'm planning to watch a special exhibition movie, about Goya (produced by the National Gallery), and then catch up Star Wars (need to re watch it before it went out of the cinemas!!) and ends it up with Deadpool in the evening. So, busy busy Sunday.

Now for Berlinale... it's so so so so hard to choose. My standard rule for choosing movies in Berlinale is:
1. watch non-English movies, because they'll be with English subtitle in the festival.
2. remember, English movies will be out soooon enough, no matter how tempting it is.
3. first priority is to check Japanese movie, if not Swedish (or countries up there) because I'm always a fan of Japanese movies and countries up there have such beauuutiful language.
4. if possible, find thriller, or heart warming movies from places you
didn't expect. i really can't go for experimental moviees hahaha (i always feel tired afterwards).


And so in the end, I ended up getting tickets for:
1. Boris sans Beatrice; a movie about a rich Canadian French guy whose life mysteriously changed because his wife fell into depression. It's a psychological thriller. Uh yeah.
2. Barakah yoqabil Barakah; a romantic comedy set in Saudi Arabia! And the tickets are rapidly sold, I guess people are really curious about it.
3. Ja, Olga Hepnaross; a movie about a psycopath serial killer in republic Checz back in the 70s. Thriller!
4. Den Allavarsamma Leken; a swedish classic period movie, about a couple who love each other but too poor to marry each other, met 10 years later and they got into affair. Uh yeah!
5. Woorideul; a korean movie about a new kid in school who feels kind of rejected by her school mates. I remember watching a very heart warming movie also in Berlinale (I think it was two years ago) about a sister and her younger brother whose parents died, and her younger brother didn't know yet, but she can't take the courage to tell him about it, and the struggle was so real, I cried. When I saw the trailer for this movie, I think it has a similar atmosphere, so I'm bought!

And there's one movie which Kriszta will get the tickets for: The Sand Storm, about a woman who had to endure a second marriage of her husband. Hmm drama!

And still I have four movies I still wanna go for but I'm holding myself back. Especially two, one is Sense and Sensibility, 1995, a special viewing to commemorate Alan Rickman. And I mean, S & S was such a beautiful, beautiful movie, from my favorite writer, but the ticket is a more expensive one, so I'm soo confused about watching it or not. Nobody wants to pay me for a ticket for this? Hahaha. And the other one is The One Below, so it'll be screened right after 'Ja, Olga Hepnaross', in the same cinema, so it's not a fuss to get to the cinema, and again it's a psychological thriller!! But it will be released in March, so I thought, I should just patiently wait!!

And a friend asked me, why am I so excited this morning about the rom-com, saudi arabian movie? Is it good? I have no idea. But it's just a general excitement for the overall Berlinale, I'd say. I'm excited this morning because I had to do the online buying again hahaha. I mean, it's just crazy, 2 minutes after the online tickets were released, they were all sold out!!! XD But now, after some years of experience, I think that mostly they always have extra tickets during the day of showing, so if you are dilligent enough to wait in the queue during the day of the movie screening, the great german system of course kept some tickets available for you to get. Hehehe.

So anyways, that's about it today, and the 66th Berlinale shall start tomorrow morning! So exciting! I was in Potsdamer Platz this morning to get the tickets, and the area was already transformed per usual into Berlinale atmosphere! The festival posters were everywhere, the ticket booth in Potsdamer Platz Arcade, the OVERPRICED merchandise, which yet again, I thought about getting, but no because they're too expensive and worth two movie tickets at least (damn capitalism!), but it's back, people! It's back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment