Friday, February 19, 2016

Weekend Thoughts

Living in a foreign country can truly makes you shock about the things that both 'you' and 'them' don't know about each other. I believe I've discussed these questions previously in one of my earlier posts, but I got some new input I just need to bring it back out there. Of course I have to let you know, again, that my beautiful pluralistic country, was as historical records mentioned was first influenced by Hinduism and Buddhism at its earlier stages. You see, it's an EFFIN MARITIME country, so people come by to sell or buy stuff, some decided to stay, or spread their beliefs, and by 16th century was dominated by Islam, because if you do read history, the Islam merchants during the golden age of the muslim world assimilate to locals and I guess it fits and so it became the dominant religion until today. And remember, when I say dominant, it means there are 5 other religions (Protestant, Catholic, Hindu, Buddha and Confucian) officially accepted in the country. And the thing is, if this is not enough diversity, and I'm not saying that my country is free of troubles, discrimination, etc, there are 300 DISTINCT native ethnic groups with 742 different languages and dialects. And as wiki say: "A sense of Indonesian nationhood exists alongside strong regional identities." because we SIMPLY are.

And so of course not everybody will agree with what I'm saying here, but I think most Indonesian would agree, but here are some of my answers for the following questions, starting from the most striking question I have ever received while living here:

1. Indonesian use arabic writing, right?

.... no... I tried to learn arabic LANGUAGE when I was in junior and senior high, but it was so bad I got from 7/10 to 4/10 at the end of my high school. I can read the Quran, because most Indonesian muslims learn since they were little, and I can understand a little but mostly I read the translation in Indonesian/English. When I went for pilgrimage to Mecca/Medina, of course I didn't speak arabic. When I was in Egypt, no part of Quran helped me to find my way back when I was lost, because I don't know the language. If there's any cultural/religious influence in Indonesia, it would be the Hinduism influencing the words which we still use nowadays, some of their alphabets which are still learnt, we use roman language, I don't know maybe because of the Dutch???

2. (while during Ramadhan, muslim's fasting month) Your mom wouldn't know if you don't fast, so you can just not do it.

... i think i actually do it for myself ...???

3. Can woman sing in public in Indonesia?

Sure do. Check Agnes Monica, the way we adore Siti Nurhaliza, or I don't know, I mean although I understand where such question comes from, Indonesia is a country where women drive alone, go to work, become celebrities, plenty of us hold at least a bachelor degree, the underline is, Indonesia is uniquely Indonesia. If you want to compare us to other country, don't take middle eastern countries, take our neighbouring countries, Thailand, Vietnam, or simply fellow Asians, like Japan, South Korea, China. I think you'll see more similarities of culture and the way we see the world with these countries rather than middle easteners.

4. Praying (solat) is a form of military work out.

... what? Is it because we have to do it from time to time altogether? But I've never felt like I'm doing some sort of gym work out when I do the praying??? If any, praying is a form of lowering yourself in front of the almighty God, and reminding yourself that no matter how rich, or successfull, or influental, you're just a mortal human being who is as unimportant in this vast universe. So why are you being proud about yourselves?

5. What does the Imam in Indonesia say about issue xxx?

What Imam do you mean? Are we referring to the same thing? SO HERE'S THE THING. THERE IS NO PRIESTHOOD IN ISLAM. Imam means 'leader', and in my stupid perspective of a regular Indonesian, Imam means the guy or if there are only woman, the woman who led the jamaah (group) for praying together. Because you know, you can do it alone, or together. How do you choose an Imam? Usually someone older who knows more of the verses of the Quran because you're supposed to read some verses while praying. There is usually no particular imam in different mosques. Especially when you try to go to mosques in Indonesia. My dad was imam once in a prayer because he looks older than the other guys there. I was an imam once in a prayer because I'm such a snobbish pretender who seems to be good enough to be an imam. If you refer to Imam in I don't know.. Iran? Or maybe some middle eastern countries also have it? I have no IDEA that one can be a religious leader?? In Indonesia, we have PLENTY of religious groups, who rather than trying to control the government are usually there to provide guidance or a deeper understanding on how to do this or that, depending on who you are more believe in too (for example, I'm inclined to the moderate, Muhammadiyahs which is an Islam religious organization who was there for almost a 100 years already). They are usually comprised of people who are basically Islam religion scholars. Or religious academician. Not a priest. One of the reason why I decide to hold this religion is partly because simply, there's no priesthood. It's saying, if one do and dedicate themselves hard enough, she or he will reach closeness to God.

6. What about polygamy?

Historically, when Quran was sent down to the arab lands, woman is equal to possession. No rights, no voice, basically, just a thing. Quran came down to gradually tell people, hey women is as equal as men. The only thing that will differ you in the eyes of God, is HOW WELL you do the things I told you (practice prayers, fasting, zakat (giving alms), being kind, taking care of people who are less capable, educate yourself, basically, things that I think every religion thought). And so, I do agree that polygamy is allowed in Islam. But see to yourself how it's written in the Quran, that being polygamous is such a difficult responsibility, YOU WON'T BE CAPABLE, to really pull it through, so why bother, really? And that is basically what I stand for in this issue.

7. Is there separation between male and female in public spaces?

There's one train which have a special female wagon in Jakarta, made because plenty of men are perverts, so to protect the women from these jerks, they decided that the women get the comfortable, woman only wagon (of course they can also take the usual wagon if they like).

8. Why don't you go to parties?

BECAUSE I'M A FRICKIN CLOSETED INTROVERT WHO LOVES TO GO TO MOVIES BY MYSELF and lay around in my bed to read books or binge-watch tv series or eat ice cream. AT HOME.

You see, let me rephrase, I am an Indonesian muslim, with parents of two different ethnicities. I once heard a barbaric minded colleague told me that woman has nothing more but being good in kitchen and bed, and so partly to say fuck you to that person, I finished my bachelor, master, and well well, my phd. My parents encouraged me for my education. They were concerned as any asian parents that I weren't married till I was 30, but they never force me to get married. I enjoy plenty different pop culture since I was young till now, and generally Indonesian are like me. When I was in high school, I met friends who came from a more conservative background, but now I realize some of them are even more liberal than I am. I sang in a band when I was in high school. In front of both male and female friends. I sang. Yeah. My biggest problem is being better in academia rather than my pop culture life, because man I wish I can explain plant soil feedback much better than how I can tell you the various Marvel tv series which are out and their storylines. Sometimes I feel that my heart is broken whenever strangers, friends or collague describe my religion as a barbaric, closed minded bunch of people, when they see me there  truly, just thinking about when will I have time to watch the new X Files episode... Sure I pray, insya Allah, five times a day. I wear hijab since I was 12 (BY CHOICE!!), etc, etc. But it doesn't make me less human, right? Just for being different? Do I bother you? Don't I tolerate you with all our differences? We might not agree in all issues, but we mind ourselves right? And focus on the similarities and things we do agree so life will be a bit better place than what they already are? Hmm?

No comments:

Post a Comment