Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Movie Review: Independence Day: Resurgence

Movie Review: Independence Day 2: Resurgence, 2016, dir: Roland Emmerich.

I had a hunch that when they have Liam Hemsworth in the trailer, despite the awe-making scenes, this movie might simply be an easy going summer flick that you shouldn't let your brain think too much. But it was bad and in the end made me think too much out of passionate disappointment.

This review will be on full spoiler, so move forward with caution!

I didn't watch the first movie. I didn't know why, I mean I watched Jurassic Park which is the other revolutionary movie in terms of special effect around that era, but didn't bat an eye on this one. So I spent the hours before watching it reading through the original storyline.

Oh my God, the movie was filled with 'why aren't they thinking straight?' moments which is just mind goggling for me. First was the first alien ship which was already mentioned to be looking 'not intimidating' but they blew it anyways. Wow. You see, the movie said that after the attack from 20 years ago, the world has created cutting edge technologies due to learning alien ships landed on earth, etc. But... they can't make a comprehensively thought over decision? Why attack something which doesn't look intimidating? ('because the writers can't find better reason for the story to move forward!' said me in the background)


the alien ship

Second, the scene where they scanned the landed (bigger) alien ship, and found heat center in the middle of the ship, suggesting 'ah this is the mother alien, if we kill her, the-similar-to-beehive-community will for sure destroyed'. I immediately thought, THIS IS OBVIOUSLY A TRAP, but the movie dragged another 10 minutes or something to show, and act surprised, OH WELL THIS IS A TRAP! Why? How can high level military personnel, experienced scientists, came to such decision SO SO EASY. Gah. I felt insulted.

And then the typical 'I'll sacrifice' scene plus the 'We will overcome this together' speech close to the ending which was shot so cheesy-ly, I cringed, like how does the actor able to even say these words? If you wanna use it, use it well! See for example, Pacific Rim, scene: Marshal Pentecost giving his final speech. That's the way to deliver this over-used type of scene! Gah.

And although I love seeing Maika Monroe on the screen, I wish there were more to it. Liam Hemsworth's scene where he pissed the aliens by literally pissing WAS ABSOLUTELY stupid, the conflict between Liam and Jessie Usher's character was so standard I don't know why it matters. Plus, Jessie Usher's character is also handsome and has this sweetness in his face, why not have him date Maika's character if you need to add ((an) unnecessary) a love scene.

I told my husband, 'Maybe, the producers of the movie thought that they are sick of complicated storyline during the last few years, so they thought 'Hey, let's make an oversimplified movie, just for fun', so they make this one, where everybody ended up being happily ever after and now 'let's hunt the villainous alien with this cutting edge technology' aka let's make this a new franchise and make more movies and hence more money' GAAH (if it's good, keep it coming. but if it's not, why spent all those money to make bad quality movie -- this one must be expensive, just look at the CGI and special effects).

And so... I'll watch the first movie, maybe I'll know something more?

The fun thing about this movie experience is because I went to watch it with Bizki, his older brother Agah, his younger brother and the younger brother's wife Ihsan and Dania, for the first time hanging out as a big family (usually it's just me and my sis and sometimes with mbak Dian ;D). And I get to spend the evening before the movie walking around CiWalk which I rarely go to when I was studying in Bandung because I didn't have money to hang out in the cafes, etc (I usually go to the shopping mall where they have the cheapest movie tickets). And I had my first Bakmie GM. And I get to spend the evening discussing about movies with Bizki and Agah. Found out that Ciwalk is a pretty cool place, looking like a forest with building structures with plenty of restaurants and cafes. I mean, it's so futuristic for me, so I enjoyed it a lot. So yeah, the movie was pretty crappy, but I had some fun time :D And I guess that's more important :)

No comments:

Post a Comment