Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Movie Review: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Movie Review: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, 2016, dir: Burr Steers. 

I'll go on full spoiler in this review! Sorry! But you for sure know the storyline of Pride and Prejudice, right? 

I don't know which scene was more appealing to me. Seeing the Bennet girls went into battle to fight zombies? Watching them putting on their blades and guns attached to their undergarments? Watching Mr. Darcy suffered being headlocked by Liz's legs after confessing his love to her? Seeing sweet sweet Jane without fear took out her small dagger to kill a zombie running towards her? I don't know, but I like them all!


This movie was adapted from a book under the same title, written by Seth Grahame-Smith with Jane Austen as the co-writer. When I saw the book on display a couple of times back in Dussman, I always thought, it'll be quite a cheesy easy gothic story kind of book. I'm sorry, but I'm still hurting after a renowned (late) writer took Pride and Prejudice into an investigative crime novel, Death Comes at Pemberley, and absolutely botched it. So I take extra caution to read any extra adaptation of Jane's book.


So I also didn't bother when the movie was out. Remember the 1999 version of Mansfield Park? Where the movie writer or the director decided to infuse Jane Austen's character into Fanny Price? The shy, closed, Fanny Price turned into another Elizabeth Bennet. What a shame. And until now, we still haven't got a proper Mansfield Park adaptation. Oh look, when it comes to Jane I always rattle out from my original plan.


Anyways, so with caution did I watch the movie. The Rotten Tomatoes rating was not very good, so I expect nothing, actually. But it turns out to be quite and enjoyable take of the novel. So Great Britain was infected by a plague which turns people into zombies, and so people on that Island after years of attack had to learn to defend themselves, including the amazing Bennet girls who, unlike most people who'd learn martial art in Japan, studied in Shaolin temple in China. So the rest of the story was pretty much like Pride and Prejudice (even with scenes which remind me of the 2005 adaptation: the cleaning up the house when the Bennets left Netherfield, Liz entered the dining room to visit her ill sister, and the room where Darcy (almost) confessed his feelings to Liz). And plenty of scenes took the original script from Jane's book. But it also in a way, felt quite original and fresh. Like some of the reviewers (of the book), saying that the zombie story was infused nicely to the original P & P plot, this also applies in the movie.


I checked the plot of the book, and it seems quite different to the adapted screenplay, so I think I can still read it and feel surprised. But it was really a fun watch to see my favorite characters got involved with zombie war. The Bennet girls felt more badass in this adaptation, and gosh seeing Jane and Liz taking out their swords to fight is just sooo exciting! So although the movie might not be the best of the best, it is still a very entertaining one. And I'd suggest it to fellow Jane Austen's lover who would agree that Jane's sense of humor would appreciate this. Because, really, it's so funny and entertaining to see Liz cut off a zombie's head in front of the love of her life!! Would non-Jane Austen fan love it? I'm not so sure, because the fun part is seeing how the characters from the original story got their own twisted story line. But I can't really tell, because I'm really biased :P

Ah, and I decided to watch this movie because of Condro. So here goes my review, Condro :D



"Liz, let's spend the rest of our lives hunting zombies together. Do you like the idea of it?"

No comments:

Post a Comment