Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Book Review: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child


Book Review: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, 2016, J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, Jack Thorne

As posted in Goodreads


I think that anyone who knows Harry Potter that well would understand that this is, after all, a spoiler. So read with caution :)

I really didn't plan to read the book since:
1. it might ruin my already canon story of the seven books of HP
2. it's from a play, so it might not be as enjoyable as reading a through and through novel (but hey, what about Shakespeare, then?)


                                  

But I saw the review that the book is devastating to one's emotion, so I had to give it a try. And so this is what I have to say about it:
1. although it took me a bit of time to dwell into it properly, I immediately came home to the never forgotten familiarity of the wizardry world in Harry Potter's universe. And it feels good.
2. it isn't, after all, a 'new story' but partly feels like a fan-fic of what ifs, but I'm not saying this as a negativity, because I think we do need to know more to feel more appreciative about the people in HP's universe, especially the ones we never properly said goodbye to.
3. it settles one of the most argued about romantic relationship in this particular universe.
4. it's true that we need a proper, good villain to make a good hero, and the book brought us back to the origin of origin. I mean, basically, there's nothing much you can tweak but coming back to that point. That's why I think we should put it at this, and move on!!!
5. Harry Potter is one of the kindest person ever lived in science fiction, and I'm just so sad that even after ~20 years, he had to feel worse and worse about the whole thing. I mean, can we PLEASE give him a break??
6. this book certainly gave the right chuckle and almost brought me to tears.
7. Now I really want to be friends with Scorpius Malfoy.
8. I will love this universe, always.

No comments:

Post a Comment