Saturday, March 19, 2016

Book Review: Everything I Never Told You

Book Review: Everything I Never Told You, Celeste Ng, 2014

As posted in goodreads

Rating: 3/5


This book is my kindle trial book. My friend insisted that I should give it a try!

So the book is a family drama about a young girl found dead, and how her family had to trace back and forth about their life, of how it all went wrong, about how it all started, and whether or not they can make peace with all that has happened. Lydia, the girl found dad, came from a multiracial family, with blond haired, blue eyed mom (Marilyn) and a father with of Chinese descent (James). Since the book was set up in the 70s, it reflects the difficulty of how Marilny felt different for wanting to pursue her dream to be a doctor, and how James felt different because of his ancestral background, considering how people are blatantly racist at that time. I've promised myself not to read a family drama about unrootedness because it makes me feel sad most of the time (like Jhumpa Lahiri's books), but I was sort of rooting for some thriller to came up? Hahaha.


Anyways, for me it's a sad book of people unable to communicate and obsessed over things which shouldn't be obsessed at. The way Marilyn pushed Lydia to become a better version of herself annoyed me so bad. And the way James pushed her the other way, to be more 'acceptable' in society was also awful. Spoiler ahead: Her Mom also once runaway from home to somehow tried to give another shot on her dream, and I just can't stop thinking how selfish she is for leaving her two kids like that... I really think the main reason why this family is so miserable is really, their lacking of ability to communicate. She should've told her husband that she wants to work again, not because he can't support their life, but more because she still has unfulfilled dreams! And parents with unfulfilled dreams who shoved it to their kids is, for me, truly awful. Spoiler ends. I can't imagine a teenager had to deal with all that. It was almost okay because at least she had a brother, Nath, who truly understand her, but he just got a chance to move to another city for college, and really, I couldn't blame him to be excited about moving out. Being under appreciated compare to her sister, and simply ignored all his life, and even his dad, out of his feeling of inferiority, treated his son with a despise that I'm amazed he didn't break quicker than his sister had. Sadly this makes Lydia felt even sadder, the person who understands her most decided to go away.

There's another character in the book, the youngest daughter, Hannah. But it's so annoying how her parents don't really care about her existence throughout the book??

Anyways, it's not the most impressive book I've read. I remember Jhumpa Lahiri left a more lasting impact to me (because even now I always feel a bit scared to read this kind of genre, afraid that it'll broke my heart), but the theme is interesting, and although I wish that there would be less and less of parents of this type, and more and more great bonding between brothers and sisters, in case some kids have to deal with such parents, and they'd at least have a solid emotional support, I think it's a pretty important book to read. Don't forget peeps, your spouse can't read your mind! Talk to them! Being a teenager is rather difficult, so please don't pressure your kids to the point of them breaking, please accept them as they are. Before being parents, please try to reach your dreams beforehand, or make your path towards it and don't force it to your kids. And even if you don't reach your dreams, remember that there are these children who came for you who love you unconditionally, so at least do it for them. Life's pill is bitter, but a family is a place where one can find comfort, right? Don't be racist, appreciate and listen to what others have to say. And it's 2 am in the morning, so I'm signing off, and have a goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment