Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Book Review: Underground

Book Review: Underground, Haruki Murakami, 1997

Rating: 3/5

As published in Goodreads

(it's not that the book is bad, it's just it has an atmosphere which kinda make me stress)

My sister asked me if I can get a copy of this book, and since it was interesting, and it's not a Murakami novel, I thought, let me give it a try. You see, my problem is simply, I think he writes in a Kafkaesque atmosphere, and although Kafka really write piercingly into your soul, or at least dark enough that makes you search in the corner of your heart whether you got it as well or not, I always ended up slightly depressed. Aaand I wasn't looking for something like that. At least not now. I like character study novels, you know like JA, Henry James, or epic story of people's struggle like Steinbeck's work. But at least, this is a compilation of interviews! So that's pretty okay. But even then, the outlook at the end of this book is still pretty dark. Hahaha. 


Oh, the book is about the 1995 Sarin terror attack in Tokyo subways. Apparently conducted by a cult named Aum Shinrikyo with its 'charismatic' leader, Shoko Asahara. The book was split into two parts, first an account from interviews conducted with the victims of the terror attack and the second some interviews with previous or current member of the cult. The book felt almost like a social study towards Japanese culture and habits. For example, plenty of times I was amazed how some of the people, even after feeling ill or dizzy after getting off the train (because of the state of the attack, which uses sarin gas, people don't really feel like they're getting attacked, not until they started to be unable to see -- this part is extremely scary -- and heavy dizziness, or swirl in their stomach. Even worse, the after effect is just horrible. I'm so stressed over the fact that these people might never fully recovered from this attack...) still.. try to get to work!!! If I'm there I would certainly go home to call for sick! Or go straight away to a doctor! 

Anyways, as promised, I will try to read other Murakami works before forming a full judgment. I think he's brilliant, it's just making me stressed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment