Thursday, June 9, 2016

Book Review: Carrie

Book Review: Carrie, 1974, Stephen King

As posted in Goodreads

I haven't been reading Stephen King's book, I'm not really sure why. I guess I was never into ghost stories? But to think about it, I think I almost read all Goosebumps and Fear Street books during my teenage years. So maybe I just didn't have the luck to be able to access Mr. King's books all these years. I've watched some movies adapted from his book, The Shining (my sister read it), The Shawshank Redemption, and Secret Window. And as a moviegoer I felt guilty for not having watched Carrie, but if I don't read the book first, I know I'll spoil the reading experience. I guess I still am more inclined towards books than movies.


Anyways, my office mate at that time borrowed me her copy. It was a couple of weeks before I was flying back to Jakarta. It was not so thick, so I thought I could finish it before going home. The funny thing, I kept on leaving the copy of this book in some public places, and I don't know, reading this feels a bit like a guilty pleasure? Snobbish me, only wanted to be known to be reading serious books only! So one of the other office mate saw this copy and teased me with her eyes. Hahaha.

For those of you who don't know, Carrie is a book which tells about a teenage girl with a superkinetic powers. She was bullied by her classmates, had an uber religious mother who forced her beliefs to this fragile young girl, and all this pressure, plus her coming of age, somehow released her superkinetic powers to an unprecedented level. <spoiler> I was so shocked how nobody was saved by the end of the book, not even Carrie herself. Some people, you can say, deserved it, but some people have tried to help her out, and still ended up dead. Anyway, the prom chapters is really chaotic and just full frontal out there. I can imagine why people like this book a lot. </spoiler> The book was a combination of third person narrative of Carrie and the people who were involved in the incident. But it also partly a collection of reports, newspaper clippings, interviews, etc, which made the book quite interesting for me. The language wasn't really complicated, and in the end, I think I liked both the book and the movie. I'm just a wee bit disappointed that there's a scene which wasn't filmed. <spoiler> The scene where Carrie caused chaos to the whole city. In the movie, it was cut rather short to show Carrie killed the two main antagonists of the story </spoiler>

I should read more of Mr. King's books! Sometimes, after reading heavier themed books, I always crave for these "in between" books. My favorite is Agatha Christie's, really able to take my mind off from a book which has heavier (depressing) mood. So happy to get to know his work.  

*Oh, and despite my initial assumption, I found Carrie to be such a sweet nice girl who is just so unlucky having to deal with all these people. I really wish that... <spoiler> she'd get a happy ending. Graduate from high school and go into the world, kick ass and all. It's such a shame that she also ended up dead :( </spoiler>

No comments:

Post a Comment