Friday, June 10, 2016

Kindle AND Printed Books

So what is the purpose of this particular blog post? Me, using my bragging right that, 'Hey, I have a kindle y'all!'. Or is it some sort of bragging under the disguise of being humble? Hahaha. Well, I hope that this is purely my sincere writing about one of the thing I love the most, which is reading. And this time, it's about the medium which I used for reading.

Let's start with a story. When I was planning to go home, back to Indonesia, I thought to myself, a. I'm not earning money myself; b. For books that I want, access to a printed version would be difficult. So sad we're not on the level of Singapore or Malaysia when it comes to literacy; c. I've collected during the last 6.5 years almost all books which for me would be the 'required' reading - so far LOL -; what can I do about it?



An illustration by my sister, original can be seen here
See more of her work here

My friend Roshni, has long suggested that I should get myself a Kindle. The one from Amazon was the obvious option, because I have been used to use my amazon account to get books, etc. And hey, there's an incorporated built-in light for the KindlePaperWhite version. Which means I can read in the dark (good for when travelling, etc). I checked Roshni's copy, and she's right, the surface of the Kindle isn't like a computer screen with its strong light, but it's simply looked like a page of a book. Plus, the coolest thing for me is, this thing only has internet connection so you can have your books sent to your Kindle address. You can't browse the internet, or waste your precious reading time doing anything else. So I thought, it is pretty awesome. It will solve my a-b-c problems.

And the other funny thing was this. So I was being super cheeky on money before going back home, it's just there are plenty of expenses that I need to pay, etc. That's another reason why I was a bit resisting on getting one, because a Kindle Paper White costs 120 Euros, holy cow, I can't spend money like that. But THANK GOD, one day I was finishing some lab work, during the weekend, and I found a 50 Euros bill on the way out. I thought holy cow this is a lot of money. So I took it, and when I opened, there were two 50 EUROS BILL!  THIS IS CRAZY! POOR PERSON MUST BE GOING CRAZY!

So I thought, well, if it's an outsider's money, than that person is screwed (sometimes, people came in and out through the garden because it's usually unlocked; and I've seen a couple of times people got lost coming inside the green house garden). If it's someone who's working here, students most likely, there's still a possibility to give this money back. So I sent an email to the group where most of the people who works here belong to, and it took another week before the email was posted, but I still hoped someone would contact me to get this money back.


A month passed and no one contacted me. Oh well, I guess I can use this money. Don't worry, my fellow muslim friends, I paid out 25% of the money for charity (it's an obligatory rule in Islam, if you found treasure who no one claims to, you should pay out 25% off it as zakat).

Now, when I checked Amazon to see the Kindle Paper White's price, it was strangely discounted for 40 Euros (Easter holiday discount!). So now the price was 80 Euros. It was just 10 Euros higher compare to Roshni's Kindle, the one without the built in light, but I still have my doubts because come on, 80 Euros is a lot. Maybe I can it the usual way, using the Kindle I got in my Smartphone? (with the small screen and runny battery) But I thought to myself, there might not be any better chance, and if I postpone it even later, it might be too late for delivery because I have to fly home.

SO I FREAKIN' ORDERED IT! along with a black cover so I wouldn't scratch the surface too much. All and all costs exactly 100 Euros (I found the money one or two weeks after I bought the Kindle).

When I got the Kindle, I was soo happy. I rarely buy new electronics, but looking at the super light, rechargeable, version of a book, made me soo freaking happy.  I packed it in my bag and it's small enough and light enough to carry around (just a few weeks before, I ruined my bag because I carried 2-3 books at the same time. poor thing).

The Kindle Paper White's battery lasts for weeks. I can just finish one book, and there'll be enough battery for at least 10 more books or something like that. I learned to use only MOBI extension, because pdf or other format would not be comfortable for browsing. Roshni and I once took the u-bahn and saw a guy reading a Kindle (maybe other brand) and we both looked at it while giggling, wondering which version that is.

Now to the Kindle vs Printed book thing!

So during the last few months, I've finished three books in my Kindle. The first one is a book I wasn't sure would be worthy for collection as a printed version. And I was right. The book wasn't as good as I expected, so I was left wondering, is it the book that makes the Kindle experience feel lesser, or is it just the Kindle? Next was Room which for me was also not that very good of a book. So still, an unfortunate Kindle experience.

But then, there was Santonius's Twelve Caesars. This book started off awkward, it felt a bit like a wikipedia page. But as I move on deeper, I found it very enjoyable. I just couldn't take myself off the Kindle and just rowing through and through.

I also finally was able to use the built in light function when my husband and I were traveling to Bandung, and the night falls, and the trip was long and it has a weird tinted windows so everything outside looks so much darker and sinister. Kindle saved the trip by letting me going back to the world of pages. Comforted me as books always do.

I also read some printed books, in between: The Nuns of Sant'Ambrogio. Which was in addition for being a pretty awesome book, I realized what's unique in a printed version, and no matter how efficient a Kindle might be, it won't replace this experience. Well, I guess it's just not meant to replace it in the first place. But there's the essence of turning pages, the feel of the book weight in your hand, or when you had to turn back some pages back, putting your finger in the current page while skimming back. Or yeah, the sentimental 'smell of a book'.

So here's my verdict. If you don't have to, just get printed books. But if you know that you need to be efficient (like myself, I ended up sending in total 12 boxes standard IKEA box, mostly filled with books. Plus all the other books I brought along on the in between trips to home), and you're truly an avid reader, then own both of them. Give yourself the printed version when it's truly your special writer (Jane Austen, Orhan Pamuk) (like I can't help myself to get A Strangeness in My Mind on a printed version. It's just the magic of the book is in both the written text and the way you can skim it through under your fingers!), or a book you know will lasts in your heart (Steinbecks', Baldwins'), keep them in your cupboards, and hold them to remind you of their stories. Have copies of books you love in your Kindle so in case you don't bring them along, or you feel the urge to return, there it is your old pal Kindle ready to take you home (I sometimes put it back in my cupboard along with my other books).

But I guess, most importantly, if you can, and if you know you'd really love to do it, read more and more books. They'd take you to places you wouldn't have expected. I'm currently in the streets of Istanbul in early 90s, walking together with a boza seller, and I keep on hoping he'll get enough boza sold before going home (on a side note, geez, Orhan Pamuk must love Istanbul A LOT). The book is weird and funny, but enjoyable and at least the tone isn't depressing like *cough-cough* Museum of Innocence.

And well, thank you for reading my rant and jumbled notes! Till next time :D

Oh and happy fasting!



No comments:

Post a Comment