Thursday, June 9, 2016

Book Review: Decline and Fall

Book review: Decline and Fall, 1928, Evelyn Waugh

As posted in Goodreads



So I needed a 'buffer' book, something lighter before I move on to another saga-ish book (next on the line is the Grapes of Wrath!). After reading Vile Bodies, I thought Decline and Fall would be fitting, and oh boy, it is funny. I'm not British, so I might not have captured all the jokes, but in addition with the strange strings of events that the characters went through throughout the book, I did have some very good laugh (in the morning trip to the office, I laughed because of how Paul Pennyfeather got arrested; in the afternoon I laughed because Paul Pennyfeather felt total freedom by living in a prison). 

I think Vile Bodies offer sharper satires, but nevertheless, this is such an awesome ride for a first novel!!

No comments:

Post a Comment