Thursday, June 9, 2016

Book Review: Shutter Island

Book review: Shutter Island, 2003, Dennis Lehanne

As posted in Goodreads

Oh, I really shouldn't be reading a book right after I finished watching the movie. A couple of days ago, my husband and I decided to re-watch Shutter Island. And it's funny to re-watch the movie, especially for a story with a twisted ending like this one. On the second viewing, you lose the suspense, and you started to collect proof which support the conclusion of the book.


For those of you who might not know about this yet, the book is about a US Marshal, Teddy Daniels, who was ordered to investigate a missing person case in a mental institution for very dangerous criminals. The place is staged in a windy island, secluded from everything else, and a storm was also approaching, making it impossible to leave. <spoiler> In the end, it was revealed that the whole case was a professionally staged situation by the lead psychiatrist, Dr. John Cawley along with the rest of the staff, to bring Teddy to reality, which is the fact that he's been staying at the very institute during the last two years after killing his wife who killed their three children. </spoiler>.

I think the book would be more interesting if I haven't watched the movie. Although there are some added details, most of the script used in the movie was taken from the book, so there was no major surprises as I read the book. The ending was slightly different from the movie, implying different consequences. I wonder why they decided to change it for the movie, but I think it's actually a good move. Makes you more devastated at the end. Hahaha.

I still have an un-read yet Mystic River and although I've watched the movie it was so long time ago, I forgot exactly what happened. So I might be able to give a more objective review on Dennis Lehane's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment